If I Bail Someone Out of Jail, Can I Revoke it in Visalia, CA? What Happens if They Run?

A person who signs a bail bond on behalf of the person receiving it has then become the “Indemnitor.” Some may not fully understand the role or the responsibility of the indemnitor and are sometimes surprised to learn what they agreed to take on. For those who are helping a loved one get a bail bond so they can get them out of jail and are ready to sign the bail bond, it is important to know what you are agreeing to do and the responsibility you’re taking on. Robert Sepulveda Bail Bonds will share the role and responsibility of the Indemnitor.

Co Signing a Bail Bond

The state of California defines the “Bond Indemnitor” as a co-singer or guarantor. As the bond indemnitor you are responsible by the court and the bail bond agency to the terms as well as the conditions in association with the appealer. Almost anyone can be the bond indemnitor. In most cases a family member, friend, or even a co-worker can sign the bail bond and they then become the bond indemnitor.

Responsibilities of the Bail Bond Indemnitor or Cosigner

As the bond indemnitor you can guarantee a bail bond for the defendant. However you now take on a few extra responsibilities. One major role of the bond indemnitor is to make sure the defendant arrives to his or her court date. If you are aware the defendant is unable to make it to their court date due to an accident or illness, the bond indemnitor as well as the defendant must call to reschedule their court date due to these circumstances. However proof, such as a doctor’s note, may be asked for in order to justify the reschedule. However if the individual is a major flight risk, or there is a possibility they will not show up to their court date, or will leave the area and in a sense run away–you will be the one left with the bill. Additionally, as you may not have been the one to commit the crime and are not criminally liable, you might find yourself civilly liable. That is why it is very important to know your role as the bond indemnitor.

How Much Does it Cost to Bail Someone Out of Jail?

Depending on the crime the individual has committed, the bail bond price can be much more money than can be afforded without help. This is where the bail bond agency pays their part. When the bond indemnitor signs a bail bond for the defendant, the bond indemnitor is responsible for paying 10% of the bail bond price determined by the judge. The other 90% is fronted by the bail bond company. However the bail bond agency will require collateral in the event the defendant runs or fails to appear in court. In this case the bail bond agency will look toward the bond indemnitor and collect the collateral from them if they can’t get it from the defendant. If the defendant attends their court date, the bail bond agency will return the collateral. However the original 10% goes to the bail bonds company as compensation for their involvement.

Bail Bond Services in Selma & Fresno County, Atwater & Merced County, Visalia & Tulare County, Hanford & Kings County, Madera County and the Central Valley of California

Robert Sepulveda Bail Bonds wants all of those willing to sign a bail bond as the co-signer or the bond indemnitor, know that they are responsible for the defendant. Make sure you fully understand what you are committing to before you sign the bail bond and become the bond indemnitor. If you’re looking for a bail bond agency to help get your loved one, or friend, get out of jail, Robert Sepulveda Bail Bonds can help. Don’t delay; call us today!

Call Now Button